We’ve compiled a list of our favorite trail running gear to take you from pavement to the mountain trails.
Our gear is #TestedTough in all conditions, that’s why we put Columbia Employees, Ruy Ueda and Sandrine Christin to the test with the ultimate trail run. They began their run on the streets of Tokyo to soak up the sights and sounds of the vibrant city and ended at the top of Mt. Nabewari, where they were greeted by a steaming bowl of ramen and breathtaking views.
You’re going to want to watch their adventure:
As for the gear, Ruy and Sandrine put together a list of their favorite pieces, so grab your pen and start taking notes for your next trail run.
- Variant X.S.R™ Shoe – Maximizing comfort and performance, the Variant X.S.R. features PearlFOAM™, a new cushioning innovation for superior energy return and durability in a soft package. The seamless mesh upper provides supportive protection while the highly durable and abrasion resistant outsole offers maximized surface contact. Deep grooves on the sole are engineered to work with gait-cycle biomechanics.
- Titan Lite™ Windbreaker – An ultralight layer for logging miles on iffy days, this stretch-infused trail running jacket features advanced-repellency technology to protect you from sudden showers, along with hidden vents and a sweat-activated super-cooling interior fabric so you won’t overheat. Reflective details render you visible in low light conditions, and the jacket easily packs into its own security pocket when it’s not in use.
- Titan Ultra™ Shirt – The perfect performance top for keeping your cool as you rack up miles in warm weather. With sweat-activated super cooling, moisture-wicking fabric, and an antimicrobial fabric treatment, you’ll stay comfortable whenever the heat is on. And with a drop tail hem for comfort and reflective detail for safety, you can keep pushing up the trail from dawn to dusk.
- Variant X.S.R™ Shoe – Finally, a trainer that has it all – stable cushioning for roads and sure footedness for trail surfaces. The men’s Variant X.S.R. Running Shoe is crafted of a seamless, engineered mesh upper with an external molded heal counter for support. An innovative midsole delivers superior energy return and durability. The result is a running shoe that transitions from road to trail seamlessly.
- OutDry™ Ex Caldorado Shell – If you dread the cold and wet, the men’s OutDry Extreme Caldorado Running Shell is for you. Fully seam-sealed and featuring our award-winning OutDry Extreme waterproof-breathable technology, the jacket includes an adjustable hood and underarm venting. Packs into the chest pocket so you never have to go without.
- F.K.T™ Short Sleeve Shirt – Keep your cool in the men’s F.K.T. Short Sleeve Shirt. Packed with all our cooling technologies including our new sun-deflecting technology – proven to reduce the surface temperature of the material so you feel cooler.